Homemade Tomato Sauce – GF, Vegan
A versatile sauce, can be used to make pasta sauces, add it in soups or a base for salsa’s. I love using it in wraps and to coat pasta. You can also use it as a pizza tomato sauce base.
Recipe type: Condiments, Techhiques
- 3 med Spanish Onions – sliced and diced
- 8 lrge Garlic cloves – sliced and diced
- 2 Tbs Tomato paste
- 2 cans chopped Tomatoes
- 700g Italian Passata
- 6 lrge tomatoes on the vine – sliced and diced
- ¼ tsp Stevia
- Bunch Parsley
- Bunch Basil
- 3 tsp dried Basil
- 3 tsp dried Oregano
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- Sea Salt
- In a large saucepan, cook the onions and garlic in enough filtered water to just cover. Cook on med heat, until soft and translucent.
- Add the tomato paste, cook for a further couple of minutes
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the fresh basil
- Bring to boil, stirring often as it may stick to the bottom
- Then simmer on the lowest heat with lid on for 2 hours, then the lid slightly off for an additional 1hour. Stirring every 15 minutes.
- Add the fresh Basil
- Purée ½ of the sauce in a food processor, then add back to the original sauce in the saucepan.
- Bottle immediately and allow to cool completely before storing in the fridge.