Christmas Mince Pies – GF, Vegan
Yes I know, it’s a tad late to post Christmas mince pies, but it’s taken me that long to get this recipe typed up and ready to post. So here it is. What wonderful Mince pies these turned out to be. I loved them and will definitely make them again.
Recipe type: Desserts
- ½ cup Almond Flour
- 1 cup Almonds – coarsely ground
- 1 Tbs Chia Seeds
- 1 Tbs Maple Syrup
- 2 Tbs Coconut Oil – Melted
- ½ cup dried Cranberries ( I used my dehydrated cranberries)
- 1 cup mixed Raisins – golden and brown
- 20 Dates – roughly chopped
- ¼ cup – blanched Almonds
- 2 Green Bramley Apples – peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 2 Tbs fresh Orange Juice
- 1 Tbs Lucuma Powder
- 1 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1 Tbs Vanilla Bean Paste
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- Pre-heat your oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- TO MAKE THE CRUST:
- Place the chia seeds in a small bowl and add 2 Tbs of warm water, allow to sit for approx. 10min
- Combine the almond flour and coarsely chopped almonds in a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and combine well using a large metal spoon.
- Place the crust in a 15-20cm diameter pie dish, or you can use muffin trays.
- Remove a fist full of dough and lay some baking paper on your work surface. Spread some almond flour on the baking paper and roll out the dough so it’s the same diameter size as your pie tray.
- With the remainder of your dough, using your fingers and using a spatula, spread and press the crust so it covers not only the bottom of the pie pan/muffin tray but also all up on the sides, right to the top. You may need to slightly damp your fingers with water if things get too sticky.
- Cover with cling film and put aside.
- TO MAKE THE MINCEMEAT:
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and blend until combined. Do not blend until smooth. Leave it semi chunky.
- Pour the mincemeat into the pie crust and flatten using a spatula or the back of a metal spoon.
- Slide the crust lid off the work surface with the baking paper then turn it over quickly onto the mincemeat.
- Peel the baking paper off the crust top then pinch all the ends so it connects with the base.
- Bake for approx 20min.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- This is wonderful served with some hot vegan custard or hot date sauce.