Vegetable and Quinoa Soup – GF, Vegan
I love quinoa, and when added to soups it makes it lovely and thick. This soup is light, tasty and slightly thick.
Recipe type: Soups
- 1 Small Butternut Squash – peeled and diced into 1cm sq pieces
- 1 large Spanish Onion – sliced and diced
- 4 garlic cloves – sliced and diced
- 1 celery stalk – thinly sliced
- 2 leek – thoroughly washed and thinly sliced
- 3 potatoes – peeled and diced into 1cm sq pieces
- 1 large Courgette – diced into ½cm sq pieces
- 5 large ripe tomatoes
- 100g quinoa
- 2 Cups Vegetable Stock
- 1.5 tsp ground Cumin
- 1 tsp ground Coriander
- 1 tsp ground smoked Paprika
- Pinch Cayenne Pepper
- Sea Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Firstly, using a sharp knife, incisor a cross on the bottoms of each tomato.
- Place them in a glass bowl and pour boiling hot water over them, allow them to sit for approx. 10-15min.
- Then place the rinsed quinoa in a small saucepan and add 200g of water. Cover, bring to boil then simmer for approx. 10-15min or until water has been completely absorbed by quinoa.
- Put aside.
- In a large saucepan, add the onions, garlic, leeks and celery with some filtered water. Cook on med to high heat for approx. 10minutes until soft and translucent.
- Stirring occasionally. Do not burn the ingredients.
- Peel the tomatoes and chop them roughly into 1cm sq pieces.
- Add the rest of the ingredients including the cooked quinoa to the onion mixture and bring to boil, then simmer for approx. ½ an hour or until potato and squash is soft.
- Taste, season, taste
- Pour ⅓ of the chunky soup into a large bowl and blend using a hand blender until smooth, or pour into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour the smooth pureed soup back into the soup saucepan and stir to combine well.