My Mums Scrambled Eggs & Courgette – Greek Style – GF
When I was young I couldn’t stand any types of vegetables. But I loved eggs. So my mum used to make me this dish and I could never figure out what the green bits were. How ignorant was i! This was and still is one of my most favourite simple and easy dishes of all time. I still to this day have it for Breakfast, lunch or dinner. You can also add feta cheese to it. Feta gives it another dimension totally. But because I’m lactose intolerant I try to avoid cheese and diary. But I certainly do miss my feta….. I use only the freshest oregano in this dish. I’m pretty lucky that my mother’s family live in Greece, so when I visited last, they had freshly dried oregano that I ended up taking back with me. Nothing compares to freshly picked and dried herbs…. Oregano aroma thru the flat…. mmmm
Recipe type: Breakfast, vegetables
- 2 or 3 Organic med eggs
- 1 med to large Organic courgette – shredded, skin still on
- Rock salt
- Cracked pepper
- 1 tsp fresh dried oregano (as fresh as possible)
- Place the shredded courgette on a non-stick frying pan over very low heat.
- With a wooden spoon lay the courgette out flat over the pan, mixing every few minutes.
- Cook until courgette is soft, approx 10min. Make sure you don’t colour the courgette.
- Crush fresh dried oregano over the top with some salt and pepper. If you’re adding feta cheese, add it in now and omit the salt as feta is naturally salty.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs; add them to the courgette mixture
- Combine all the ingredients
- Place cover over frying pan for a few minutes or until the egg mixture is ⅔ cooked
- Turn off heat, turn and stir mixture
- The best thing to serve this with is a salad with balsamic vinaigrette. Or on its own. Or as the Greeks do it, with some bread.